- 5 important things that I did this year:
- Got Married.
- Learnt how to drive a motorcycle. Bought my first motorcycle.
- live whole year in Asia, in Thailand, Krabi and Malaysia, Cyberjaya during 2013/2014 year.
- Finish 2 Coursera courses Web Application Architectures and A Beginner’s Guide to Irrational Behavior
- I learnt TDD approach to writing code, and applied it in practice. It’s just awesome.
- Most interesting/inspiring people I met this year:
- Kaveh Mousavi Zamani - Software developer and DevOps engineer. He tought me that simplicity is a virtue for DevOps and complexity can kill your infrastructure projects.
- Shuwn Yuan Tee - Software developer and DBA. She reminded me that you should never stop learning. It’s amazing how much can people learn if he/she doesn’t waste his/her time.
- Dmitriy Paramonov - Entrepreneur. He showed me that it’s more profitable to sell tools/supplies that help other people to do their work, than do that work by yourself.
- people that change my way to thinking this year:
- Stephen Nelson-Smith - he tought me a lot about TDD. It changes my whole thinking about software development (in a good way). I understand that you can get confidence in your code.
- Two new hobbies this year:
- Learning programming on codeschool
- Learn how to maintain and customizing my motorcycle
- Two might-have-been dream in this year:
- Buy a car
- Travel to Indonesia
- Travel to South-America
What did not go well
- still have not much money so a lot of plans still postponed
- often find hard to concentrate on work
- still not very good in choosing priorities
- spend a lot of time on garabage things, like reading blogs, news and so on useless stuff
- don’t pay enough attention to sport activity
- I spent a lot of time learning ไทย, but I still not even close to speaking this language.
- I got two good job offers simultaneously and It was a frustrating experience, to choose between two interesting projects.
What went well
- I traveled a lot. I lived one month in Malaysia, Cyberjaya. also I traveled by car to Penang island in Malaysia again. I traveled to Thailand, ko Samui (~300 km) on my motorcycle.
- I leant a lot about unit and integration testing, TDD and applying this to writing chef cookbooks.
- Enhance my opscode chef cooking skills even more.
- I bought a notebook with FullHD IPS matrix, why I didn’t to this before? It’s just great.
What I would like to achieve in new year?
- I want to buy and learn to drive more powerful motorcycle, 50+ h.p.
- I want to have stable 50$ per hour rates
- I want to start speaking on a new language
- I want to visit 3 new foreign countries
- I want to start rock climbing again
- I want to make my eyesight better than this year.